Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Zoe Wilson-Groark Project II - Artist Statement

     I started this project under the vision of an environmentalism allegory, but that concept was dropped. Originally I was going to use taking something pristine (clean tabletop, nature) and sullying it, taking its given resources (oil/trees/etc, yarn) and creating something important to humans with it (shelter/tech, throw blanket), but stripping the area of its resources and creating waste and damage. However, trying to tie in an environmentalist message within the timeframe and not letting it seem shoehorned in (given the content) proved vexing. Eventually I decided to toss off any overt environmentalist message and instead focus on cinematography, making use of my tripod to capture extreme close ups as well as different transitions and effects.
    The passage of time in this video seems to be a natural flow, showing the process of making my craft. However seeing as the actual product took days to crochet, condensing it down into one and a half minutes strikes and ironic and miserable chord with me. All of that work for less than two minutes of footage! One day I’d love to be able to get a “real” video camera, instead of a digital photography camera, as rack focusing isn’t a feature offered on my camera. It’s a shame, because things like rack focusing, like zooms, would have been something I could have utilized extremely well in this project. But overall I am happy with it, and enjoy tight extreme close up shots of my work, capturing the small and intricate details of something that was intricate to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment