Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Project 2 storyboards (Brianna Palmer)

Storyboard 1
Storyboard 2
For this project I want to show the damage that alcoholism does to the bonds of ones family, work, and the general destruction that it does to ones life, and the lives of people who care and depend on the alcoholic person. This is a very personal subject, as there is a history of alcoholism in my family.

The space I will use for this will likely be an area of the main room in my home, sectioned off my book cases and tables.
In my first storyboard, the viewer is almost immediately made aware of the alcohol problem that the family faces. It begins with a shot of a family portrait (which I would like to draw instead of having a real photo), and rack focuses to a bottle that sits closer to the camera. Every shot after that has at least one bottle. There are jump cuts to various family mementos (stuffed animals, and objects of high significance such as postcards, graduation cap or other school memento, child sized sports equipment), each with a bottle, to show how alcohol is getting in the way of family. Bottles pile up in a stop-go scene where the central bottle was filled with liquid and the liquid level goes down as the bottle level goes up. A panning shot, dabbled with jump cuts, shows how bottles have piled up over objects such as work clothes, a briefcase and several family mementos. Here I think I would like to do more jump cuts back to the original family mementos in frame 2. A bottle of wine falls and spills over a child's drawing. The last shot takes us back to the first, however, we now zoom in on the ruined family portrait.
In the second storyboard, the viewer is not made immediately aware of the presence of alcohol, but is otherwise very similar to the first storyboard. This time, in frame 1 and 2, there are no bottles left as we look over the family portrait and mementos. After we see all of these things, we return to the shot with the family photo, this time, a rack focus makes us aware of the bottle. The scenes with the bottles piling up and panning over the mess is the same, but with the next shots, when the wine bottle falls over the child's drawing, we increasingly focus on the liquid coming out with jump cuts. First the puddle, and then the drops coming off the side of the table. The very last shot can be of the drops falling over the family portrait.

I'm definitely looking for feedback on these initial storyboards, as I think they're missing something. Someone has suggested to me that I try to think of a version that has a positive ending, but I haven't made a storyboard for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment