Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Leanne Sheth 10-27 In-Class Exercise

Max Nehaus' Times Square

Longtime New York resident, Max Nehaus specialized in music- specifically jazz and experimental. One of his two American sound installations resides in Time Square, a bustling environment that sees  hoardes of tourists each year. Underneath one of the grates is a rudimentary synthesizer that captures the sounds heard from the subway tunnels, and alters it. The result is a haunting groan, remaining simple, constant, and unchanging for the duration of the piece. The piece was created in the 80s, and after a brief break can still be heard today.

The purpose of this piece is to go unnoticed. While it is located the busiest area of the busiest city, many would not stop to take notice of the work. It is designed to draw attention to the constant distractions we face, forcing us to ask, how could we miss that? I was in Times Square over the very grate this piece is installed at, and I did not notice the noise. I was hungry and wanted to go to the M&M's store. Yet when I learned I missed the installation, I felt as though I had missed the point of my trip, to enjoy the city and stop to notice its wonders, instead of being distracted by my appetite and the constant stimuli around us.


No comments:

Post a Comment