Monday, October 13, 2014

10-15 Homework - The Ecstasy of Influence - Leanne Sheth

1. What are examples from your own experience of songs, writing, art, etc. that have roots or are derived from other sources? When you find out about a derivation, do you go and look up the original? Knowing both the original and the “plagiarized”, what is your relationship to each?

Hargrid's 3 headed dog, Fluffy, from the Harry Potter series was borrowed from greek mythology, from Cerberus, the 3 headed dog who guarded the underworld. I had no idea about this as a small child, but when I did, I researched the story and found the two creatures to be identical, just placed into different worlds. I am not offended by this "borrowing" I think it makes Harry Potter more aware and significant.

2. In your own words, what is the relationship between creativity and the act of borrowing? Think about the projects that you are currently working on in this class, what have you borrowed or been inspired by?


Humans cannot create anything, "creativity" is merely the combination of two or more ideas. Because of this, borrowing and creativity are exactly the same thing. For instance, my current project on the strict gender identity expectations that are forced on young children was inspired by an androgynous friend of mine who was expected to be more feminine than she wanted to be when she was growing up. I borrowed the idea of a play house from remembering my pink playhouse I had as a child, and wondering why it had to be pink.


3. On page 3, the author discusses the idea of enframing and recontextualizing. Ponder some of the videos that you have seen over the last month, locate examples of artists enframing or recontextualizing older ideas or sources in the work that you have seen.

Pippiloti Rist recontextualized the military chants in her video art to represent the expectations of femininity. She appropriated the meaning of something traditionally associated with the opposite of her message.

4. What are the “pros” and “cons” of copyright. Use examples from the reading to support your list.

The "pros" of copyrighting are that it protects smaller artist's work from large corporations looking to profit. It allows those who created the work to receive the most credit and profits that they deserve. For instance, Amercian Eagle was recently sued for featuring graffiti not created by the company, and using it as a backdrop for their campaigns. They did not credit the artist, and therefor, the creator could not reap the reward. However, this means that the general public would have a much more difficult time finding the art had it not been for American Eagle. Without seeing art all around us, it limits our influence in our own work.

5. What is the difference between a gift and a commodity? Think about and then describe an instance in which you have personally participated in a gift economy.

A gift creates a bond between two people, and a commodity is an exchange without any personal connection. I have personally participated in a gift economy when I did a model/photographer exchange with one of my close friends, I let her photograph me, and then I shot her.

6. What are the commons?

The commons are general inspiration available the public, that is constantly being contributed to and taken away from

7. What is undiscovered public knowledge? The author discusses this methodology of creating  knowledge using examples from science. Can this method be applied to art practice and how?

Undiscovered public knowledge is what subliminally inspires us without knowing. As long as new information is being discovered, then the methodology can be applied to art. When new things come into existence or to light, they are added to the general pool of inspiration, and are used by artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment