Saturday, October 18, 2014

Homework - 10.13.2014 & 10.15.2014

Reflection
I received positive feedback in regards to my concept and acting capabilities.  I was told that I executed the idea of confines well, being that my character needs an escape from the confines of the daily world.  My original idea was to put separate film in the spaces within my cat's cradle string.  I was told that this was too cheesy, and the piece stood well alone without the footage.  Instead, it was suggested that I overlay a semitransparent separate film strip over my piece.  I think it would make my piece more dynamic if I projected film onto myself while I performed.  I think the distortion of video would add to the ideology of my piece.  I also need to make sure I stay in character and be aware of changes in lighting when I shoot, seeing as my optimal time for filming is at sunset when the light shines through my window.


The Ecstasy of Influence
  1. For WARP, we had an assignment where we had "collaborate" with an artist.  My artist, Arturo Herrera, created eight foot tall collages onto rolls of paper with the idea that each layer respects a facet of yourself to create your identity.  I maintained his ideology and technique, but I changed the perspective to include a darker dimension-- these facets are not necessarily positive.  I used much darker colors than Herrera and also included references to classic short story The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.  I did extensive research on Herrera and his background to get a thorough understanding of his reasonings in his work.  Of course, I have a sentimental attachment to the piece that I made myself, but the experience has given me more respect to Herrera, who created an entire gallery of eight foot paper collages.
    Also, my all-time favorite song, Build Me Up by Rhymefest is a hip hop version of Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations.  While I had heard the chorus of The Foundations' version before, I didn't listen to the whole song at once until I discovered the hip hop alternative.  I don't think remixing a song changes the inherent quality of a new piece, and I like the newer version better than the original because of its added elements, both lyrically and instrumentally.
  2. I think creativity stems from borrowing.  In reality, every idea you have stems from past knowledge and experience.  People just rearrange borrowed ideas and concepts to create new combinations.  I get a lot of inspiration from tumblr.  It serves as a constant stream of imagery to really get ideas going.  I came across this image and thought about how much easier life would be if finding new places were this simple.  I wanted to apply this idea to a cat's cradle of geometric shapes to generate my project.

  3. Lesley the Pony Has an A+ Day is an example of a disjunction in enframing because it gives off the initial idea of being a friendly children's video, but by the end it takes an unexpected tragic turn when Lesley suffers from intense emotional angst.  By adding any sort of plot twist juxtaposition, the piece takes on a completely new context, adding elements of malaise and anguish.
  4. Copyrights inhibit the spread of ideas between artists from all mediums, including theater, visual art, and music.  Preventing the unlawful spread of ideas is a constant hindrance, and stopping those who violate such laws has become a fiscal battleground.  This is apparent when Walt Disney constantly renews its copyright for Mickey Mouse, preventing anyone from stealing his beloved character.  Mickey Mouse is widely-known internationally as the mascot for Disney, and yet Disney feels that it has to maintain its ownership.  Even if someone else were to adopt the fella, everyone would still associate Mickey with Disney.
    The monetary battle also extends to music, and the article states that companies will sue copyright violators as young as twelve to protect the rights to their music.
    When Thomas Edison composed the Constitution, he intended for the copyright to ensure that credit was given where it was due to create a breeding ground for the proliferation of new ideas.  Instead, the copyright has created a legal festering pool for lawsuits.
    On the flip side, copyrights do serve their purpose of protecting intellectual property, and it does so through threats of lawsuits.
  5. A gift insinuates an emotional bond.  People pay money to go to a museum, but they do so with the intention of creating an emotional connection, thus generating the feeling of a "gift."  The artists gifts the audience with their work.  Ads are not considered art because they area commodity.  There is no emotion between the product distributor and the consumer.  The exchange is purely business.
  6. The commons are the public domain that belong to anyone and everyone who uses them.  American tax dollars are used to fund government projects.  Theories developed years ago by mathematicians and scientists are applied on a daily basis in the contemporary setting.
  7. The theory of undiscovered public knowledge states that many problems that go unsolved scientifically can be resolved by going back and doing research on past archives and studies.  The answer could have already been found or a new combination of preexisting ideas could generate a new resolution.  This theory could be applied to art.  By researching art history, contemporary artist could not only find visual inspiration, but also ideologies, techniques, and mediums.  Artists worldwide are constantly reinventing themselves and the work they create.  Everyone has a slightly different style.  By researching this plethora of ideas, we can generate the optimal execution for our own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment