Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Project 2 Storyboards and Proposal

 

For my video project, I wanted to explore the gradual degradation of a domestic partnership within the setting of a home. It’s something I can relate to, as my parents divorced when I was fifteen, and it had a rather huge impact on my outlook and various circumstances in my life. So I wanted to show the relationship of an ambiguous couple as it declines over the years, using only objects and one partner. It starts with the beginning of the marriage, progresses to the family’s life in full swing; followed by financial problems, personal issues, attempted reconciliation, divorce, and finally moving on. The 6x6 space would be the countertop between the kitchen and living room, and each scene would depict a different point in the relationship using telltale objects and actions on behalf of the one partner. Lighting would be a contributing factor, with happier times being brightly lit, and unhappier times the opposite.
The two ideas I have implement the same objects, movements, etc., but with emphasis on either the person or  just the objects. Having the focus mainly on the objects would require the viewers to piece together everything that’s happening using recognition and relation, and give a sort of objectivity to the relationship. But filming more of the person’s emotions and interactions with these objects would make it a much more empathetic film, and relate to the human element present within the relationship. Both have their perks and complications, but there might even be a different method to conveying what I’m trying to. Something more subtle, perhaps? However, I have to take my limited resources into account. I would need a variety of props and a costume for myself (I would play as the distressed partner, most likely). And my idea for scene cuts would probably be natural wipes using the objects from each scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment