Analyze the work in 1-2 short paragraphs on the blog, discussing the elements of the work that are derived from noise. What is the effect of noise on the your understanding of the content of the piece? How would you characterize the work and why? Does it function as art, music, or as an environment/space?
Sometimes-My Boody Valentine:
The song lyrics are almost indistinguishable because of an overlay of electric guitar ambience throughout the song.The noise is very relaxing and meditative. At first I feel a little bit averted to it because I can't understand the lyrics and have a desire to understand what the singer is saying, but the more I let go of an attachment to wanting to know the word meanings the more I enjoy the sound. The layered types of sound is very engaging and creates a sense of depth to the sound.
The effect of the noise on my understanding of the content creates a sense of ambiguousness to the emotional expression. It feels like the audience understanding the lyrics aren't as important as the act of listening to their expression. I would characterize the piece as very tonally deep, ambient in a strange rock and roll way, and relaxing because of the consistent of the overlayed electric sounds throughout the piece. It functions as music and art to me. because the underlayed song creates a structure to the overall piece, my subjective reference for sounds finds it to be enjoyable, and the intention of the band is for it to be music.
No comments:
Post a Comment