Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Ecstasy of Influence by Jonathan Letham



- What are examples from your own experience of songs, writing, art, etc. that have roots or are derived from other sources? When you find out about a derivation, do you go and look up the original? Knowing both the original and the “plagiarized”, what is your relationship to each?

I have experienced numerous times when songs have roots that derive from other sources. One instance is when I heard the song “Stronger” by Kanye West when it first came out. I recognized Daft Punk’s tune of “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” in the song. Usually, I find songs I like in commercials and I look up the originals to listen to them. Sometimes I like the “plagiarized”, but typically I go toward the original. I think it is okay to use some parts of other people’s songs in their own, with correct permission, or if the parts are made unrecognizable.

 - In your own words, what is the relationship between creativity and the act of borrowing? Think about the projects that you are currently working on in this class, what have you borrowed or been inspired by?

The relationship between creativity and borrowing is sometimes inseparable. To be creative, one can be influenced or inspired by other people’s work, thus borrowing their ideas. Some elements can be borrowed to inspire a new idea or concept; however, it cannot exemplify the same idea as the artist who the parts were borrowed from. I haven’t been inspired yet to borrow or influence my video yet.

 - On page 3, the author discusses the idea of enframing and recontextualizing. Ponder some of the videos that you have seen over the last month, locate examples of artists enframing or recontextualizing older ideas or sources in the work that you have seen.


In Laurie Simmons’, “The Music of Regret”, she uses elements from a 1950’s society. All the people are proper and in stereotypical gender roles, their only worries revolving around minute troubles. By using these elements, she is recontextualizing old societal ideas and making a joke out of them, causing viewers to laugh at their jealousy of other people. The old beliefs are put into context against newer, more drastic worldly problems.

 - What are the “pros” and “cons” of copyright. Use examples from the reading to support your list.

Some pros of copyright include protecting one’s own creation and art, keeping it safe so no one can steal the idea and claim it to be their own. In the readings, Lethem states that copyright is an artist’s birthright, helping to grow their art in a safe haven, diverting any attempts to steal it. Some cons of copyright include corporations using it as an easy way to acquire money. They can demand copyright on most anything, making major issues over insignificant things. Lethem describes how shop owners have to pay the ASCAP to play background music in their stores. Lethem also states that corporations have attempted to make the Girl Scouts pay to sing campfire songs.

  - What is the difference between a gift and a commodity? Think about and then describe an instance in which you have personally participated in a gift economy.

A gift establishes a connection and bond between two people while a commodity focuses on no such thing. I have participated in a gift economy when I paid to see the movie Frozen in the theatre. I was very inspired and felt a connection with the movie because I knew that Hollywood and entertainment is where I want to work.

  - What are the commons?

A commons is general inspiration that belongs to everyone and no one. Some examples include language, streets, the skies, and public parks.
 
  - What is undiscovered public knowledge? The author discusses this methodology of creating knowledge using examples from science. Can this method be applied to art practice and how?

Undiscovered public knowledge can be found in older research journals that make current research and experiments pointless. Scientific answers can be found in older scientific research, thus suggesting all solutions have been created previously, with no more room for originality. This method can be applied to art practices because if another artist has problems with expressing new ideas or concepts, they can always look to past artists for inspiration on their processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment