Monday, October 27, 2014

10/27 In-Class Exercise

        I listened to Pulse Demon by Mertz Bow. Throughout the whole work, all I hear is static noises from a TV and the sound of wind whipping through a microphone on a camera. The noise makes the piece very dramatic and edgy. I would characterize the work as something that would be background noise in a horror movie. "The name Pulse Demon" accurately describes what I am sounding; like an exorcist scene in a horror movie where people are casting out a demon. It definitely creates tension and maybe a little annoyance because of the loud, static repetition.
         I would consider this piece to function as an environment/space. It gives off a feeling of a certain space. Even though there is some sense of rhythm, there is no structure to the way the static sounds, therefore, it is not music. There is no beat, just noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment