I have always had a strong disagreement about performance. I
do see it as art, however, I always have argued that art is the product of
something, and a lot of times it is a product in which we are able to fiscally analyses
after. Therefore, most of my ideas tend to create a commentary on leaving
something behind or creating a piece that after its performance it is
interesting and tangible. I want to talk
about various aspects of everyday life. For instance, I want to talk on the
decision making aspect or even the way one is let on by others.
My first
idea works on the aspect of everyday commuting. One does not understand the different
directions ones take through the day. For instance, when waking up I walk
around my bed and fix it then I walk straight to my bathroom and left to the
sink. I want to sit in an area occupied by at least three people and record the
steps they take through the day. the only difference is that I will be
recording these steps in a sheet with string and a needle. If a person goes
right I will make a stich to the right, if a person makes a circle I will
create a circular stich. Each person will be categorized by a different color
and by the end of the day I will be able to show a piece in which the day of a
person has been recorded.
Another
project would follow the same idea of leaving the mark of communing. However, I
will create this work by following the instructions of a random film or song. I
will choose a song or film in which the main aspect of it has nothing to do
with dancing or instructions. Then I will dissect the film and leave the words
like “change”, “Left”, “right”, “Straight”, “side”, “up”, “down”, “back”. I will
then follow the instructions of this work and create a work of art with my feet
dipped in paint, mud, dirt or sand. In
various classes I have worked on projects in which the teacher tries to send me
on a path I do not intend to. She does not fully understand what I am trying to
create and therefore, blindly sends me to create a work in which I do not care
for. Here I am talking about the idea of getting instructions from something or
someone that has nothing to do with the subject and therefore, leaves the
artist into an unknown result.
Lastly,
something
that I always relate to is that when I talk a lot of times I do not make much
sense. Much like Shakespeare's writings one has to closely analyze what I say
to understand what I mean. I have always had the problem that what I want to
say does not really work out and it ends up being a confusing statement.
Therefore, I want to take a easily understandable poem or story and switch
words around. I will make rules in which I will switch the 5th and 4th word of
a sentence; every other sentence will have their words either backwards or the
sentence itself backwards. Things like these rules will create a feeling of
confusion to a very common and understandable poem/story. I will then stand in
front of the audience or camera and recite this new poem/story and let the
audience try to understand and decipher what I mean to say.
No comments:
Post a Comment