Monday, November 17, 2014
Project III Artist Statement - 11.17.2014
My third project takes the listener through a series of environments, each presenting the audience with relaxing audio. The first will be a bar, then the street, then the bedroom. In the future, I would like to extend this piece to cover a wider variety of environments, but I will limit myself to the three for now based on time constraints. I would shorten the time within each scene, but I really want to immerse the listener into each environment I present. Seeing as my previous pieces have been more morose, I wanted to take a more lighthearted approach to this project.
My piece is, as previously mentioned, centered around taking the listener through a series of environments. Each scenario will start off very relaxing-- the quiet lull of a crowd, the gentle shuffling of footsteps, and the comforting warmth of a cup of coffee. However, each scene will have its own individual twist of having an irritating noise thrown in at the end. In regards to this piece, "irritating" is not defined exclusively by a shrill noise or loud repetition, but also spans to include feelings that the audience can relate to. One example is where the main character of my piece snorts and sniffles while walking down the street. The sound of the sniffles isn't necessarily obnoxious, but being congested with a constant runny nose is. I felt like this shift in perspective would make my piece more relatable to the audience. I also feel that my piece takes on a comedic tone as the audience takes amusement in the main character's dilemmas, as is the intention.
SoundCloud Link (x)
Labels:
Alyssa Dulay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment