Wednesday, November 19, 2014

In Class Exercise - 11-19-14 - Leanne Sheth

Inspired by Marina Abramovic's piece, The Artist is Present, we sat across from a classmate and looked into their eyes for 5 minutes. I am familiar with Marina and her work, and I never realized how impossible the task would be. I experienced true vulnerability, and I feel that my focus was challenged to look into my partner's eyes. In addition to my overflow of emotions, I felt that everything was laid bare for me to experience, and that I was hyper aware of her actions. I now hold Marina in an even higher respect than I once originally did, her mind is on a level that far transcends the normal human, the sheer capacity her piece must have taken is unfathomable. I did tear up a few times during that piece, and after hearing the occasional background sniggering, I am happy that my partner was equally solemn. This was such an insane experience for a mere fraction of what the original piece was. I felt an equal connection with my partner, moving past the personal qualities I know about her, and looking at her as a mutual human being. I felt a connection as a fellow human, and it helped me understand the unconditional value of human life.


I became hyper aware of how my pen sounded on the paper, and I became hypnotized by the sound. I started with my name, connecting the letters in a romantic and careful way. I realized that my name is my identity and therefor a part of myself, so I attempted to be respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment