The documentary about Marina Ambromovic was very inspiring to me,
especially her ideas about showing people a glimpse of their own
humanity and about being a warrior. Though her somewhat self-destructive
behavior is morbid and sometimes shocking, it is extremely powerful,
and her ability to stay completely focused during her performances is
striking. For this reason, I am very much intimidated by this the
prospect of performance art in relation to my own life.
My subject matter I think has always been a bit dark, but by that I
mean what is normal for me may seem extreme to others who may have had
radically different life experience. However, my first idea for this
project is one of more extreme things that I will have attempted in my
work. I have been really impressed and touched by how many of my fellow
classmates have been unafraid to admit traumatic and difficult
experiences and use them as fodder for their creativity, and it makes me
feel less timid to release one of my more recent traumas for this
performance piece. I firmly believe that making work about personal
suffering is a powerful way to heal while communicating a deep sense of
humanity to the viewer. A very dear friend of mine took his own life
almost a year ago, he was found with a plastic bag taped around his
head. I have dealt with this very well, but of course it still affects
me, the recurring thought of how that experience must have felt from his
perspective is still a flashback that haunts me. I was thinking about
duration and experience very heavily while pondering how to perform a
reaction to this event.
So, for my first project idea I would sit on the floor cross-legged
with a plastic bag, take a couple deep calming breaths, and then put the
plastic bag over my head (however, for safety reasons I won’t tape it,
I’ll just hold it.) I will test my ability to endure this environment
for as long as I can, and if I end up passing out, I will already have
been on the floor and my hands will automatically release and allow
oxygen to return to my lungs. As a precaution, a friend will be there to
make sure the bag is removed and all is well. This idea seems like
something that would work best as a video, the mediated version seems like a less
traumatic experience for my audience.
My second idea is less morbid than the first, though I think I am
still more passionate about the previous iteration. In this performance,
I would be tattooing myself, using the stick-and-poke technique (a
needle and ink) that is typically associated with prison tattoos and
vagabonds. There are two reasons for choosing this method. The first
relates to the apprenticeship process in the art of tattooing; the
apprentice must tattoo himself before he can move on to working on other
people. This point in their experience is a milestone, because it means
that they have finally completed the long and tedious task of
sketching, tracing and being “the shop bitch,” and they are ready to
begin the next phase of their metamorphosis into a tattoo artist. This
is a sort of initiation rite, which is the concept that I am
appropriating for my own pagan ritual symbolizing a dedication to
strength and commitment to my own vitality in opposition to abandonment
of the privilege of life. I would be tattooing a cockroach on the palm of my left
hand. I have included reference for the symbolism of this beetle below:
“Cockroach teaches the art of adaptability and ultimate survival
instincts under any conditions making this creature an emotional and
spiritual shape shifter. It will teach perseverance and tenacity along
with going with the flow of events. Cockroach applies determination
and fortitude to survive in any event. The wisdom of Cockroach teaches
how to keep in touch with the world around you, shows how to strengthen
vitality and quickness of movement, ability to discern when and how to
move, and make use of available resources. Virtually indestructible, it
will be around long after everyone else is gone. Roaches are from the
beetle family within the insect kingdom. All beetles carry metamorphosis
energy and the roach showing up in your life can indicate change.
Roaches can also be indicators of the desire to pull back from society
and keep under the radar of others”
The second reason for the stick-and-poke method of tattooing is to
communicate adaptability and functionality. I am not a tattoo artist,
and therefore don’t own a machine. But in the spirit of tattooing
myself, I relate to the prisoners and vagabonds that use this process
out of lack of any other way make these marks. This performance is also
about endurance and duration; I think it would be best on video because
it may take more than 15 minutes to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment