Monday, November 17, 2014

Leanne Sheth - Project 3 - Sound

https://soundcloud.com/leanne-sheth/project03-sheth

Leanne Sheth
11-17-14
Self-Portrait
We live in a hetro-normative culture- heterosexuality is expected from every stranger we meet, friends, and family members. Because of this standard, the LGBTQA community often struggles with discovering their identity in a world where it is not expected, and not always accepted. In my own personal experience, I struggled with coming to terms with my own sexuality, I often doubted myself and became depressed with my denial. After recently embracing this identity, I can reflect on my life and memories and see the pieces coming together, reaffirming myself.

My audio project will explore the meaning of patterns in memories as insight to our true selves, specifically in regards to sexuality. I recorded myself retelling stories that affected me, and that I feel were hints in indicating my homosexuality. The memories are told chronological order, overlapping and interplaying to display the overwhelming stream of signs that I denied for most of my life. Early memories not only shape who we are, but upon reflection can show important insight to the person we will grow into. Those recordings are on average, positive and light hearted. As the piece progresses chronologically, the clips turn to a darker, and more emotional side. All of the memories are related to discovering my identity, and I consider them to each document a random, but important moments in my life. I wanted the collection to seem overwhelming, as was all of the signs and panic of accepting this part of myself.

  



   

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to reiterate that your piece was very affective and amazing ^_^

    ReplyDelete