I'm nervous about my final project -- Performance and video art has never been my forte. Video editing, sure. But creating moving visual narratives using myself? No thanks, I'd usually rather ride behind animation or still drawings. And I think that insecurity shows in my work, and so I focus on things that I have absolute control over, things personal to me, rather than a wider range of subject matter. My projects thus far have been rather personal to my life and my current state of mind, and maybe it's only fitting that I continue that trend with my last project of the semester.
For Project 4, one theme I would want to convey is wanderlust- leaving a place behind and fulfilling the urge to explore the land around you. I would do this by documenting me driving through Florida; through St. Augustine, Jacksonville, places I haven't been before. The allure of the open road and all that. Mini impromptu road trips. Cool.
Another idea has to do with my sexual orientation -- having recently come to the conclusion that I was bisexual was surprisingly difficult on me, despite roughly 90% of my friends not being straight anyway and I had no reason to fear rejection, and I'm still not "out" to a number of people. So this would deal with how I projected myself onto things and interacted with others.
My last idea is to make a performance out of my freelance illustration work. Still art is usually very result-based rather than focused on the process of the piece, so highlighting that aspect of more "traditional" modes of art would be interesting -- the sweeping movements of my hands and arms, rotation around the space to get a more accessible angle on the mark I want to make against the paper. There's a sort of "dance" involved with traditional work that isn't talked about.
I'm not particularly sure which is "stronger"; the one based around sexual orientation has the opportunity to be more emotional, but I'm not sure if I have the emotional capacity to deal with that right now (which is, coincidentally, the attitude of 50% of the second idea. haha). If I had to choose, it would be between the second and third idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment