We all
experience influence from advertising through different outlets one way or
another. These ads are arguably
essential to the market of exchanging goods and services. However, with different sources constantly
leaving a subtle hint of how to look and how to behave, it imposes pressure on
the audience to conform. Even in
day-to-day socialization, we conform to a group of people based on a common
interest in order to fit into a niche. I wanted to highlight the fact that this
constant assimilation and conformity ebbs away at a person's personality and
sense of self.
I took
a more abstract perspective of this theory, and starred my piece with a ball of
odd fuzz that served as an extension of myself.
We first come across it as it emerges from my purse, muddling through my
personal items. The ball of fuzz travels
over to the mirror and serves a minute of reflection. I wanted to leave it ambiguous as to how the
fuzz felt about its image. I wanted to
prove the point that nobody really criticizes how they look until they compare
themselves to others. The fuzz then
notices a laptop playing footage from various fashion shows and attempts to
transform itself to become more like the models. After several clips play, the ball of fuzz
slowly mutilates itself trying to morph into a model and at the end rolls over,
presumably dead or at the very least exhausted by its efforts.
I
wanted to remain ambiguous as to whether or not the ball of fuzz looked
decisively better or worse after its transformation. Making an effort to improve your image is
undoubtedly exhausting, but the act can pay off. Change is inevitable in life, but it often
comes for the better, paving new paths for growing and exploring new realms of
yourself that you didn’t know you were capable of. In this piece, I simply
wanted to comment on the fact a change definitely takes place and much of it
comes from exposure to advertising and pop culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment