Men became less interested in Eternal salvation, the idea that the clock would allow them to pray at a regular time each week, and more interested in worldly desires such as money and getting to work on time which their employers set.
Life with no clocks would be much different. many of the complex machines that we have today rely on clocks and timing to make them work. Work and school schedules would be much different I believe, being only gauged by the Sun and other natural indicators. They would have to line up with things that are easily recognizable, such as first light or when the Sun is directly above the sky. Alternatively they could be gauged by other natural means such as birds or blooming plants, but it would still have the same in, that is, you would still have to ballpark because it's less precise than a clock. I would not be able to keep my journals the way I do now, with almost minute by minute entries, and it would more likely be something that I do at night after reflection. Life would perhaps be more relaxed.
I think the means of instant communication and precise timing and fast computing has made all of those who have ready access to that less patient than their ancestors. Because we have a way to minute by minute precisely measure time, we've given ourselves more to do in a day, so I think our perception of time is faster than our ancestors. And I think as technologies make it quicker and quicker to accomplish tasks, our clocks will be faster and faster.
The clock standardized production by giving engineers an ideal standard for the workings of machines, and of the means by which to measure productivity. Organic time is measured in events, such as the sowing of seeds to the harvest, and mechanic time is measured by the precise movement of gears in a clock. Organic time is natural, relative, ever changing, and different for everyone. Mechanic time is an artificial constant. Mechanic time moves backwards and forwards, but organic time moves ever in one direction.
Time became like space, and that it could be divided up, it could be filled, and could be expended with machines that sped labor.
(This reading was difficult because there are a lot of letters missing from the text)
No comments:
Post a Comment