Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Leanne Sheth - Project 1 - Stop - Motion Animation

The Decay of Flowers
Video: https://vimeo.com/107053864

Artist Statement

The Decay of Flowers


            For this assignment, I was inspired to create an abstract narrative that highlighted the highs and lows of addiction. I wanted to recreate the scenario an addict would face - an episode of seeing a drug, wanted the drug, taking the drug, and then the emptiness that comes after the high ends. I chose to portray this grittiness in traditional media, combining individually drawn still images with physical objects brought to life with stop-motion. The “drug” was represented by physical flowers, which the subject ate to experience the high. I also used color to represent the different emotions and excitement, the yellow that can be seen in the flowers is re-emphasized throughout the piece, and in addition to the green of the stems. The work is primarily in grey scale, to establish the dullness of life, and how many turn to drugs and other substitutions for enjoyment. However, once the high is over, the subject is left cold and abandoned, in a dark world.  I chose to title this work “The Decay of Flowers” as a commentary on how addiction destroys us and prematures our decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment