I was complimented on my smooth footage, especially in my dripping paint. I was told that I needed to clean up my set a little (bunched up wires behind laptop). I was told that I needed to take my concept a step further and mangle my ball of fuzz to the extreme. I was complimented on relating colors and textures to the models in my video. I got mixed reviews on the oddness of my ball. Some didn't appreciate the fact that they couldn't relate to the ball because it was too weird. Others liked the fact that the ball was so simple that they could relate to it. I was told that the bedsheets and curtains were irrelevant in my introduction and should be traded out with something applicable.
I didn't really like the outcome of my project and wish I did take the piece a step further.
Launching the Imagination: Narrative
- In a single image, the artist must carefully analyze their audience and ensure that they know about the symbolism and gestures behind the characters and signals. It is more essential to provoke emotion through facial expressions and figures' body language to reduce any ambiguity. Using multiple images, such as in a group, series or sequence, gives the artist more flexibility to really enthrall the viewer in the story they are trying to tell.
- Causality is a style of storytelling in which each event causes the next in a linear fashion with a clear sense of cause and effect.
- A rational approach provides solid facts to lure in the viewer. Geico has driven their product into the minds of their audience to the point that they now advertise "Fifteen minutes can save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. Yeah, everybody knows that."
An emotional approach relies on the audience's emotions to prove a point. A recent Budweiser commercial uses a dog and his owner to convince viewers to not only party with Budweiser beer, but to drink responsibly. The commercial begins with buidling a relationship between a man and his dog. One day, the owner goes out to party with his friends with a case of Budweiser beers in hand. The dog sits at home and waits for the owner to get home. Once the audience assumes the owner has died in a car accident, he returns in the morning saying he stayed at Dave's house because he knew he had too much to drink. The dog welcomes him home with kisses. (x)
A serious ad relies on a delicate balance between serious content and engaging imagery to provoke a viewer to take action, particularly supporting a cause. I personally have to turn away from the television whenever the ASPCA commercials play on Animal Planet.
A humorous ad must be funny without offending the audience or demeaning the product. Every year at Superbowl, Doritos never disappoints with their ads.
A realistic ad relies on the viewer to find the ad relatable to be compelling. These were especially effective when I was little and I wanted everything in every infomercial in between commercials on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. A couple that come to mind are moon shoes, skip-its, rock 'em sock 'ems, miniature disc music players, etc. - A categorial approach to nonnarrative film focuses on the exploration of a single concept, act, or emotion. Artist David Cata sews portraits of his family members into his hand (yes into his hand) and then rips out the stitches to reveal the tattered skin and slight bloodshed. He documents his process before and after the art is removed. This symbolizes and focuses on the strong and vital bond between Cata and his family. Without them, he would be left in tatters. (x)
A rhetoric approach uses sequential images to present an argument. I have seen examples of this in powerful ad campaigns against child abuse ads. (x)(x)
An abstract approach uses change in shape, texture, color, and movement to create a compelling piece. This is similar to the rotoscope piece we watched in class.
Berger: Opening the Gate
- A swallow flies into the room, circles, and exits. Berger takes the photos out of their folder. His friends gasp, peer, and smile. They look and ask questions. The dogs offer a key for opening a door. Figures hunt in the light. A house burns. A man approaches. A cinema films 24 frames per second. We see more than what we are humanly destined to. Children hide behind things. Dogs run and lead Sammallahti to his pictures. Nomads travel alone.
Berger's words paint a playful and daydream-like film in our heads of the space he lives and his excitement for the images. - Eadweard Muybridge is famous for documenting the precise phases of movement for both artistic and scientific purposes. Without his images, people at the time did not know how a horse galloped. Harris Hawk's "Stroboscope" allows us to see the movement of 3D-printed horses using a turntable and a strobe light. Without the strobe light, we would only see a blur of white rotating on the turntable.
No comments:
Post a Comment