Monday, September 22, 2014

Homework 9.17.2014

Reflection

As of this point in my progress, I have all my filming done, and now I'm just waiting for the arduous task of editing.  I'm a real nit-picker when it comes to tiny details, and the movement of the sun changed the lighting in a lot of my shots.  I need to edit the lighting in some of my frames in Bridge so that all the frames match where they need to.  I feel that I got a really smooth flow of movement between my frames, especially in the beginning.  Near the end, I got a little more sloppy and there is a bit of a jump between frames.  I nudged the tripod a couple times, resulting in frustrated re-shooting.  Also I realized too late that, in mangling my object, I cannot go back and fix the frames that require my piece to be whole (if that makes sense).  Now I have to decide if I want to go out and buy a new $4.00 object or just go without it.  I'll probably buy another.  Mangling my object was a lot of fun, and hopefully my finished piece will be worth the mess and stains on my carpet.  :)

The Medium is the Message

In Brent Green's Carlin, the artist uses photography in the house he grew up in to illustrate the poetry he recites.  The message would not have been nearly as powerful had he not used the time lapse imagery.  The sculpture of the presumed Carlin, Green's aunt with diabetes, gives a chilling visual to accompany the fast-paced lyrics.  Separate, they could arguably stand alone, but they create an amazing dynamic that I personally love together.
Personally, I could see "the medium is the message" when I make any subconscious decision, particularly when I find something to eat.  If I choose something artery-clogging, I'm probably stressed out or need something to relax me.  If I'm being productive and having a good day, I'll probably reach for something healthier.  I'm a creature of habit, and I feel that someone could easily distinguish my mood from the foods that I choose to eat.

I feel that media could serve as "a prison without walls for its human users" when it conveys a bombarding message of what someone should be/look like.  This is similar to what I'm trying to convey in my Project 1, where my object destroys itself trying to conform to society's opinion of beauty.  Also the saying could take a more literal definition.  Sam Hsieh took a picture of himself every minute for a year.  The project served as a prison, confining him to the space to create his piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment