Thursday, August 28, 2014

In-Class Assignment 8/27

 


I got up and walked up the stairs nearest to me.  I had no idea what was up those stairs and now was a good of a time as any.  Five steps, hulking mass of spanish moss, five steps, platform, turn, eight steps.  Is there any architectural rhyme or reason as to the number of steps before the turn?  Lo and behold: an educational library sits atop the eighteen steps.  Automatic doors unleash a refreshing breeze of air conditioning.  I hit the second shorter swinging door with my belly.  Lord knows how many hands have touched it.  There is a vending machine to the far corner.  I am starving.  Alas I have no money.  Stairs lead up to more books.  Seven.. Four.. Eight?  I usually count but now my memory fails me.  There are 3 rows of tiny lockers lining the ledge of the second floor.  They remind me of the ASPCA and look like I could fit tiny puppies inside of them while the Wings of an Angel plays in the background and Sarah McLoughlin guilts me into donating money to sad neglected animals.  I really have to pee.  I stop to pee.  I tell Ashley to go on without me so I can pee.  The floor has tiny maroon tiles.  Like tinier versions of what is at Bagels and Noodles.  Again I am hungry.  I wash my hands.  My notebook touched the nasty bathroom floor.  My notebook touched the nasty counter.  I exit and sweep the perimeter of the remaining library.  There is a section taped off as "caution."  What would happen to only THAT side of the library so that they would block it off?  It doesn't bother me enough for me to investigate.  There are little study cubicles that are shaped like swastikas.  Do the little ledges turn left or right in a swastika?  The study cubicle ledges turn right.  Back down the stairs.  Eight.  Four.  Seven.  Eight.  Ten.  I circle the giant tree that reminds me of the one in Pocahontas.  Four.  I pass by people and pretend to look at something else.  I don't like to stare at people passing by wondering if they'll say something.  Also I check the time.  Time passes by so slow.  Around the tree.  Up four.  Past the nasty bench.  Down five.  I meet Ashley again as I double-check the number of steps.  I walk past the classroom and down the hall.  The AC now revolts against me and hits me with the scent of cleaners and old people.  Old people have an odd smell.  The hall turns into a hospital-esque look.  Shiny flooring.  Maroon hand rail sits lower.  Turn.  Turn.  The halls take a small greener tile.  The hall opens to a small room.  Low ceiling.  Little faces are drawn onto some of the tiles (pictured).  About face.  Green tile. Hospital.  Smell of the elderly.  Aaaaand Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment