Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Homework 1 (Brianna Palmer)

ARROW OF TIME - RESPONSE
The origin of the universe is relevant to our everyday lives because it set in motion a pattern of change that is very much like our own lives. With time, some things change and do not change back (the Arrow of Time), and some other things make the same changes over and over again. The arrow of time is seen in things like the aging of our bodies, which cannot be reversed. The repetion of time can be seen in things like the rotation of the earth around its axis, which repeats every day.

QUICK AND THE DEAD - RESPONSE
Michael Sailstorfer's Zeit ist keine Autobahn - Berlin (Time Is No Highway, Berlin) is a rubber tire mounted to the gallery wall, attached to a motor so that the wheel continuously runs against the wall. Black dust is left behind by wearing of the wall and the tire. Time is a part of this piece in the way that it is constantly making changes to its environment. I think of the noise it would make, both the motor and the constant friction of the tire with the wall. The wall afterwords would no doubt look a lot like Pierre Huyghe's Timekeeper. The piece caught my eye more than any of the other pieces. The perceivable motion in the piece is clear, and the metaphor delivered to the audience spoke to me personally. I am very sensitive to the pressures of constant hard work, and I feel that if I don't take proper care to slow down sometimes, I "wear down" very easily. I feel that the work could be showing this, or perhaps, as suggested by the title, the work is a word of caution to those who want to live the "fast life". I think that the piece is a warning, whatever it is about.
(This piece was on the website but not the exhibition guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment