(A)PATHETIC, Project IV
Alyssa Dulay
*My file was also too large to post to Vimeo.
Alyssa Dulay
*My file was also too large to post to Vimeo.
I feel that performance pieces are a perfect
opportunity to convey ideas of introspection: the artist is putting themselves
on the line and physically adhering themselves to the art. It is my opinion that people are products of
their upbringing, and I wanted to use this opportunity to comment on my
personal experiences growing up trying to constantly appease different people. My
mother has always been adamant about me constantly looking my best, regardless
of the company. I was a harlot if I tried too hard, and I was a bum if I didn’t
try hard enough. In my other ear, my
father insisted that I be the best at everything I attempted. Whether it was
board games, my academics, or a race up the driveway, there was an inherent
disappointment if I didn’t throw my heart and soul into everything I did.
These, and other facets merge and conflict when it comes to my discovering my
own identity.
This conflict is what I wanted to explore in my
performance piece. There is an evident challenge in being a cutthroat
competitor, while at the same time retaining a feminine composure. Therefore, I
wanted to give my piece a more frustrated and animalistic resolve. My performance takes place in a bathtub. I
chose this setting because I felt that there was certain sense of intention
when you climb into a bathtub clothed: it just doesn’t happen on accident. There
is also a subconscious sense of cleansing from a bathtub, which is what I felt
this piece would do for me. We find my character delicately seated on the floor
of the tub, inquisitively examining a bouquet of flowers. One by one, she
plucks off the delicate petals and watches them cascade to the floor. The
audience watches as her resolve transforms from curious, to despaired, to
frustrated, and then ultimately cracked in an assumed animalistic insanity. Along
with the bouquet of flowers, my props include gold and a pinkish-red acrylic
paint. I wanted to add a substance with a bit of viscosity to add some texture
to the work, while adding some aesthetic contrast in color. The pinkish-red
symbolizes not only feminism and the pressure to remain composed in adversity,
but also the pain it causes to do so.
I did my research on my flower of choice,
chrysanthemums, and they are said to represent, honesty, clarity, and intuition
in Chinese culture. In Japanese culture, they are commonly used in funeral
arrangements and represent truth and grief. My piece ultimately represents the
classic “love me, love me not” plucking of flower petals. However, rather than
a game of chance, my character looks at these flowers as “for every person that
loves me, there is one that does not.” She struggles to come to terms with
disappointing so many people, and these emotions transform her into a creature
much more confident, apathetic, and independent. I titled this piece
(A)PATHETIC because of the feminine obligation to constantly act with
compassion towards others. Therefore, it would seem logical that a lack of
emotion would be masculine or strong. To be taken seriously in business, one
has to be either seen with a stoic clarity or seen as weak and clouded with
emotion. In the end of my piece, I overcome all my conflicting emotions,
compose myself, and presumably move forward.
Reference Links (x)(x)
Reference Links (x)(x)
No comments:
Post a Comment